[mythtv-users] cpu usage question / recording settingrecommendations

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 11:00:54 EDT 2003

Interesting... I haven't played with my encoding parameters in a while, and
it does seem like certain things have become more efficient in the last
couple of months.  Maybe it's time to revisit my settings.  Just curious,
what's your audio setup?  btaudio or patch cable?  I'm wondering if that has
any effect on things, like available PCI bandwidth... I'm grasping at
straws, but maybe extracting both audio & video from the bt878 card over the
PCI bus is a little too much... possibly I need to tweak my PCI latency
setting in BIOS?  Right now I can't seem to set my audio quality lower than
7 or I get stuttering, yet I seem to recall being able to do '3' before I
set up btaudio... but that of course would have nothing to do with PCI
bandwidth, as the compression occurs *after* the audio is extracted...
*sigh* I guess I'll just mess around and see what result I get.  Of course,
my wife will kill me if I break our Myth setup...

I suppose the other thing it could be is my PC133 SDRAM... maybe it's time
to get some better RAM... luckily my mobo takes either SDRAM or DDR RAM.

Does anyone more knowledgeable care to comment?

-JAC