[mythtv-users] Biggest, baddest MythTV

Shawn core at enodev.com
Wed Jun 18 20:38:42 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 18:28, Eni Gma wrote:
> >     2. What's your Video OUT device?
> F1: ATI Rage 128 Pro
> F2: ATI Rage II+DVD
> F3: ATI Radeon 7500
> first 2 use the ati.2 drivers, I can't remember if #3 does or not.
Do you find the ATIs have better Video out? I've heard that but have no
ATI cards to compare to my GeForce4 Ti 4200.

> >     3. What captures video? Where did you buy it?
> B1: Hauppague WinTV-Go, 49.99 @CompUSA
> B2: Generic BT848 (No Tuner) bought long ago with a webcam kit.
I take it you have analogue cable on B1.

> >     5. What remote control do you have?
> All 3 frontends have the CIMR-100 serial port reciever/remote combo.
>  IIRC, they were about $7.00 ea. @ computergeeks.com.  They are natively
> supported by LIRC.  With these remotes, a kernel recompile is not
> required as they use the standard serial support.
So if I grok this (thank you for all the useful info, BTW), the CIMR100
would be used to control mythtv, and in theory I would need an IR
blaster to command my "Scientific Atlanta" digital cable box. I believe
the IR blaster would be twiddled using some sort of script twiddled into
mythtv?

> Yes they are, but unfortunately everybody has different ingredients (and
> different levels of "cooking" skills).
Yes. I started last night, and I spent a lot of time trying to
understand the whole picture, playing with xmltv for a while before
playing with mythtv, etc etc. I'm amazed at how little, in the end, you
have to actually do.

This is all quite stimulating!