[mythtv-users] Changing channels

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Jun 18 08:21:36 EDT 2003

At 06:17 AM 6/18/2003 -0500, Shawn wrote:
>Well, mythtv may soon have another new convert. I love my TiVo, but if I
>want my video on a SAN, by cracky I want it on a SAN!!!
>
>Anyway, I have a question. I have digital cable, and currently my TiVo
>has a little IR thingy which sends remote control signals to my digital
>cable box to make it change channels.
>
>My understanding (which may be wrong) is that a video capture card will
>not be able to "tune" a digital cable signal, but will grok a video
>input. Also, I thought that "tuners" won't grok digital cable signals
>correctly like an authorized cable box from the cable co.
>
>You can see where I get confused? How does the mythtv change channels if
>my capture card can't? Or can it?
>
>How do you folks have it hooked up?

Your understanding is correct.

There are two options. Which works for you (or if either does) depends on
which digital cable box you have.

First, a Myth host (or any PC doing video capture) can use the same sort of
"little IR thingy" your TiVo now uses ... possibly the exact same device,
depdnding on its make and model. The real name is "IR Blaster". The LIRC
(Linux Infra_Red Control) Linux package is typically used to do this.

Second, a Myth host (or any PC doing video capture) can use a direct serial
connection between the PC and the digital cable box to control its channel
changing. This depends on the digital cable box having a suitable interface.

For details on either solution, search the lists (be sure to include
mythtv-dev in your search, since some solutions get posted there, not on
mythtv-users).