[mythtv-users] How does backend/frontend work with Directv?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Jun 17 20:42:02 EDT 2003

Curtis Stanford wrote:
>>>When you fire a remote command at the frontend, does it fire the command
>>>to the backend (if necessary, i.e. changing channels)? How does that
>>>work?
>>
>>The IR commands through lirc and keyboard keystrokes go to
>>the frontend.
>>

> I assume you meant backend above?

Frontend[sic]. All keystrokes and remote keypresses (through
an IR receiver then lirc) are intrepreted by the frontend.
If the frontend decides that the backend needs to do something,
it sends a text protocol message to the backend. I wanted to
be sure you understood that there is no "raw" transport of
IR commands from one machine to another.

> Or a serial cable to the low-speed data port. I already have that working.

Even better. When you run MythTV's "setup" and get to the
"Input connections" section, there will be a place to enter
an "External channel change command". MythTV will call this
command with the channel number as an argument when it wants
to change channels. Therefore, you just need a script (or binary)
that you know will change the channel through your data port.

--  bjm