[mythtv-users] FW: Questions about MythMusic & MythVideo Future Development

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Tue Jun 17 02:12:52 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 12:46 am, Zachary S. Bedell wrote:
> Alright...  First of all, I feel like a real louse for writing this.  I
> haven't contributed a single blessed line of code to Myth, and here I am
> complaining.  Momma always told me what happens to choosy beggars, but....
<blahblahblah>
> About MythMusic:
>
> In order for any part of Myth to be useful for me, it's interface needs to
> be fairly big. The new interface on MythMusic has a lot of fairly small
> text.  It also has all the (I presume) mouse clickable buttons on the
> bottom of the screen. I only use the LIRC remote to control Myth, so those
> buttons are kind of superfluous. The previous M.Music interface could turn
> off display of its buttons which was very useful and allowed for a bit more
> screen real estate for the song list.  The old interface also accepted key
> commands for fast forward / rewind that were the same as MythTV which made
> it very easy to do everything by remote.  Finally, the Goom visualization
> crashes immediately since about 6/14/03 CVS.  In the "old" M.Music, I'd had
> problems with Goom, but I fixed it by changing the SDL and Goom resolutions
> in mythgoom.c to 320x240 -- perfect for TV out.  In this version I tried
> changing the hard coded 640x480 to 320x240, but it hasn't helped any.  I'm
> not sure how I can provide more useful debugging info than that, but I'd be
> happy to provide what I can if someone can tell me how.

Where's it hardcoded to 640x480?  There's an initial resolution set of
800x600, but that's immediately overwritten by the GUI size.  If you want a
smaller rendering res for goom, there's a pair of settings in the vis section
of the music settings that cut the GUI res in half.

Read the docs for info on how to debug things.

> On the bright side, I do very much like the new integrated playlist / song
> display.  I just wish that I could turn off some of the other screen-eating
> graphical bits below the listing & use a much larger font to display
> everything.

See the music-ui.xml file?  Edit it.  You can change the UI to be anything you
want.  Leave stuff off the screen, change the font sizes, it's all up to you.
Before it wasn't.  Now it is.

> As for MythVideo:
>
> The new video browsing & IMDB look-ups are nifty for the few Hollywood
> titles that I have kicking around, but most of my video collection is
> non-blockbuster stuff -- TV episodes, Anime, and whatnot.  There's also a
> HUGE number of titles.  I have everything sorted up into a fairly elaborate
> directory tree, and the old tree-browsing interface was perfect for
> drilling down to my various videos.  I made the mistake once of letting the
> new M.Video run against my full video tree, and it took forever to index
> the 40,000-odd titles I had sitting there.  Then browsing by flipping
> through one video at a time was impossible!  Are there any plans to
> re-integrate the old browsing method into the new M.Video as an additional
> option?  Even if the old code was just translated to run on the new Myth
> plug-in
> architecture, I'd be more than happy to have both the old and new programs
> in my Myth main menu.

So, you completely missed seeing the 'Video List' button?

Isaac