[mythtv-users] Linux MPEG Decoder Driver on EPIA-M

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Jun 16 15:56:55 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:29:55PM -0000, rwk at americom.com wrote:
> > You're not
> > going to get a hardware assist from a MPEG-2 decoder on a MPEG-4 or
> > RTJPEG file.  (Well, if Via did some things in their hardware and had
> > driver support and X support and libavcodec support you might, but I
> > really doubt it).
>
> Do you know of any project to support the hardware mpeg-2 decoder under
> linux?

There's a few threads about this on the LInux forum at
http://www.viaarena.com.  They put out some binary-only library
at some point which apparently doesn't work any longer.  They have
been seeking some community assistance with a driver and (IIRC)
Alan now has an M10000 and NDAed docs in his hand.  I assume since
he has more of a clue than they do, he will be generating an
XvMC API compliant driver so people can use the support generically
in any player project.

Regards,
--
Matt Porter