[mythtv-users] The Horizontal Pundit

Steve Davidson buzzdat1 at attbi.com
Thu Jun 12 22:55:01 EDT 2003

> Thanks for the advice and warnings, Chris, Christopher, and Robert. If I
> end up buying it, the rubber feet sound like a good idea. I'd probably
> have it inside of a TV stand, so the bare metal on the bottom wouldn't
> show. I think I saw some aluminum-looking spray paint or vinyl dye at
> Home Depot last time I was there, maybe I could get it to match.

Just make sure that the CPU vent holes on the side (or in your case, the
top) aren't covered... <g>

> OT: Do any of you folks actually use that PCMCIA slot? ;-)

The PCMCIA slot does work; I tested with a linksys PCM100 10/100 NIC and
it seemed fine.  The 4-in-1 card reader is another story: it is a
subcomponent of the PCMCIA chipset (ENE CB710) which doesn't seem to
have any Linux support (yet).  USB (1 and 2) work well; IEEE 1394 is
detected by the kernel but I don't have any devices to test.  Sound card
is fine, but AFAIK noone has gotten the SPDIF port(s) to work under
Linux.  Video works fine, but there is no DRI support for the SiS 651
video chipset (yet); this doesn't seem to be a big deal for
MythFrontend.

If this is a frontend only system, keep an eye out for my mythFE
distribution (read the archives) - I'm about halfway there...

HTH,

== Steve