[mythtv-users] Bit rate oddity?

Pierre-Olivier Bouchard petecool at vl.videotron.ca
Thu Jun 12 22:46:48 EDT 2003

Albert Santoni wrote:

> With the MJPEG codec, I've noticed that the size of shows are not
> consistent, even if the length of the show is exactly the same. Is this a
> feature of the MJPEG codec?

How can something so unhelpful be a feature?
See if both channels have the same amount of noise, the one that's
noisier *will* be bigger. rtjpeg is more sensitive to signal noise than
MPEG-4, and its file sizes aren't as constant. With my MPEG-4 settings,
I get about 217Megs +/- 5 megs per half-hour, whatever the channel or
the noise.

Pete