[mythtv-users] Sound problems, aplay /dev/dsp doesnt work?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Jun 12 16:34:32 EDT 2003

Johnny Stork wrote:
> Thanks to the quick and accurate suggestions about the AMD K6 issue, I am now closer to getting MythTV running, but sound problems persist.
>
> Sound card is an AWE32 in a 16 bit ISQ slot
> .
> -----------------------------
> modules.conf contains:
>
> alias eth0 tulip
> alias char-major-81 bttv
> alias sound-slot-0 sb
> post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> options sound dmabuf=1
> options opl3 io=0x388
> alias synth0 awe_wave
> post-install awe_wave /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2
> options sb isapnp=1
> alias char-major-195 nvidia
>
> -------------------------------
>
> I muted the line-in since my Hauppaug card has a line going into the line-in on the AWE card.
>
> I can run XMMS and play an MP3 fine and get sound.
>
> I have disabled aRts from the KDE Control Panel.
>
> ------------------------------
> aplay /dev/dsp returns the following:
>
> [root at localhost root]# aplay /dev/dsp
> aplay: main:480: audio open error: No such device

"No such device" usually means the device file exists but
there is no driver associated with that file. /dev/dsp
is normally a sym link to dsp0 . For ALSA to associate
a sound card with dsp0, you need a line in modules.conf for:

alias snd-card-0 snd-XXX

but I don't see this in the modules.conf segment you sent.

Go to: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-7.html#ss7.1
and look over the section on how to edit your modules.conf .

--  bjm