[mythtv-users] 19.9 Removing unwanted channels?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Jun 12 16:04:30 EDT 2003

Tako Schotanus wrote:

> I know that it says in 19.9 of the official howtos that I can prevent
> unwanted channels from being added again by editing and commenting out
> those channels in ~/.mythtv/<name>.xmltv but that file is empty.

The <name> part is the name you used in the Video sources
when you ran "setup". "~" is the home directory of the user
when "setup" was run. "mythfilldatabase" should always be
run by the same user that ran "setup".

If that file exists but is empty, I'd guess that XMLTV
failed when it was called by "setup". Check the terminal
messages to see if this is the case. Fix the XMLTV problem
then run "setup" again.

In this example, I'll use "CoxCable" and the user home dir
is /home/bjm for user bjm. When I run "setup" and and choose
"3. Video sources", I enter "CoxCable" then enter zip code
89074. After a few seconds, the following message appear on
the terminal:

starting manual configuration process..

getting list of providers for postal/zip code 89074, be patient..
updating provider description to: Cox Communications - Las Vegas

getting channel list, be patient..
adding channel 2 KCLV..
adding channel 3 KVBC..
adding channel 78 SHOWP..
adding channel 79 TMCP..

updating /home/bjm/.mythtv/CoxCable.xmltv..

After I finish with setup but before I run mythfilldatabase,
I want to comment out Showtime so I edit the file
/home/bjm/.mythtv/CoxCable.xmltv . I find the line:

channel: 78 SHOWP

then change it to:

#channel: 78 SHOWP

Now when I run mythfilldatabase it doesn't grab data for
channel 78.

If weeks later run setup, use the same name and zip code,
it may add new channels and delete channels that no longer
exist but it appears that it will leave the commented
channels just as they are.

I hope this helps,

--  bjm