[mythtv-users] help with xawtv

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Jun 12 09:58:22 EDT 2003

See below.

At 01:18 AM 6/12/2003 -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
>brian wojnar wrote:
>>Mythtv is working fairly well so far, I'm having
>>trouble with xawtv though.  All of the channels are
>>one channel off, is there a way for me to offset and
>>correct this?
>>Also all of the channels show up black and white. Using the right arrow
>>key corrects this after a couple
>>of presses.  Is there a way to get color for all of
>>the channels permanently?
>>I'm using a Leadtek TV2000 and Mandrake 9.1.
>>I am a linux newbie, I will rtfm again if I missed anything.
>
>It's currently the last item in the FAQ:
>
>) All of my channels seem to be off by one, and the picture quality is poor
>- The bttv driver is not autodetecting your tuner type correctly, or
>   you are specifying the wrong tuner type.  Find out which one your
>   card uses, and read Documentation/video4linux/bttv/CARDLIST to find out
>   how to specify it.

Bruce -- Does this FAQ reply make sense in this particular case? He says
that MythTV *does* work (at least that is how I interpret "Mythtv is
working fairly well so far"), but xawtv does *not*. Since both use the same
tuner-type setting ... that's in bttv, not in the user app ... how can
tuner-type selection be causing the problem in one app but not the other?

My own guess in this instance is that he has specified different frequency
settings in mythbackend and xawtv. This is the common second cause of this
symptom, and it probably should be mentioned in the FAQ reply.