[mythtv-users] Hercules Smart TV Stereo

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 11 16:34:35 EDT 2003

The MPEG-1/2 encoding ability advertised is NOT hardware-based.  It is
Windows software that is shipped with the card.  This card is only listed on
the European web site, but supposedly comes in PAL, NTSC & SECAM.  According
to their website it is BT878-based, so it *should* work under Linux, and
also with Myth.  However, you may want confirmation as I've never seen
anyone mention this card before.

The only cards that do hardware-based MPEG encoding & are supported under
Linux & MythTV are the Hauppauge PVR-250 & PVR-350.  Even at that, the Linux
driver (ivtv) is still an alpha version.

-JAC