[mythtv-users] RE: mythfrontend setup for around $300 ??

James Campbell jcampbell at trexenterprises.com
Tue Jun 10 10:41:44 EDT 2003

I've been eye-balling a AMD system for such a task.

Go to newegg.com for the best prices outside of rebates.

Motherboard: Chaintech 7NIF2-Summit NForce2/IGP microATX w/TV-out(GF4)=
$93
CPU: Athlon XP 2000+ Retail = $67.50
Case: Aopen microATX Destktop Black w/200W PS, Model# H400A = $52

Get Memory on a Rebate deal let's say $30 for 512MB of PC2700

For a front end, you don't need a HD, you can boot from a CD-ROM.
But sense we haven't added either, let's buy a nice new HD for the
backend, like a 120GB and throw a small old HD in the frontend just for
the OS, don't need anything bigger than 4GB's for the front end.

Buy a WD or a Maxtor 120GB w/ 8MB cache for $80 after rebates from any
of the major stores right now. Check with Bestbuy, Compusa, Staples,
Office Depot, Fry's ... Etc. for the deals with rebates.

So our grand total is... $322.50 and you got a hot new HD for your
backend.

If you wanna make this your frontend and backend, there's nothing
stoping you.

Just slap the big HD in this guy, and add the TV cards that you prolly
already have.  Athlon processors are so cheap, you can bump up to the
2500+ Barton while still staying around $100 for the processor.  That
should give you plenty of power to do whatever you want.  The nice thing
about this setup is that you aren't limited to the 1 IDE connection that
the Pundit is limited to.  If you added a DVD-ROM to the pundit, all of
a sudden, your HD can only be accessed at ATA-33 speeds.  This setup
gives you an NForce2 Mobo that you can soup up to your needs and your
not stuck with the case that it comes with, the world is your oyster!
Haha.  Good luck.

Peace,
James