[mythtv-users] DirecTV (RS232-to-RJ11 cable) -- I think I figured out my problem!

John Klimek jmk396 at psu.edu
Tue Jun 10 00:30:17 EDT 2003

Ok, here are my findings so far.

DB9F pin assignment is definitely as follows:
5 4 3 2 1
 9 8 7 6

RJ22 pin assignment seems to (definitely?) follow:  (when looking at the
bottom, pin-side)
Pin-1
Pin-2
Pin-3
Pin-4

Following the pin assignment, I've connected:
(RJ22-to-DB9F)
1 - to - 5  [ground]
2 - to - 2  [receive]
4 - to - 3  [transmit]

Here is what happens:

1)  If I DO NOT connect the RECEIVE line (2 - to - 2), I can transmit to the
receiver PERFECTLY.  The receive changes channels, etc, etc and works
perfectly fine.  Of course I still get "a Timeout" response from the receive
because the RxD line is not connected.  However it will still change
channels.

2)  If I DO NOT connect BOTH the RECEIVE and the GROUND line, whenever I
transmit to the receive it will change to WEIRD channels and do weird
things.

3)  If I connect ALL THE WIRES, as soon as I plug the cable into the
computer and the receive, my satellite receiver will turn itself on and off
constantly.

I believe my problem is DEFINITELY located in the receive line.

If I can transmit fine (with TxD and Gnd connected only), then I think its
safe to assume my RJ22 and DB9F pin assignments (and connections) are
definitely correct.  However once I hookup the RxD line, I immediately get
problems ranging from receiver self shutdown/reboot or I get "Timeout"'s
when I send

Also, I measured my cable and it's 50' (I thought it looked longer than
that).  So, if I can transmit fine then I'm thinking I have one of two
possible problems:

1)  The satellite receiver is not strong enough to send a signal back to the
computer over the 50' of cable.  Can I test for this any easy way?  It's
hard to rewire my cables espicially if I had to chop the length back down.

or

2)  The diagram is screwed up and I'm actually suppoed to connect RJ22 Pin 3
to DB9F Pin 2.

Has anybody else built a cable like this that can possibly help?

Ray, thank you so much for helping me.  If you have any other ideas please
let me know.  I know I'm very to getting this to work.

Thanks!

[entire original message thread follows]
> First, please do not apologize for "being long". Troubleshooting cabling
> problems is always a matter of detail, and I'd much prefer to wade through
> some irrelevancy than to hit "I think I got that part right" in the middle
> of a report. And in facf none of the detail you provide is irrelevant,
anyway.

Thank you very much.