[mythtv-users] Re: MythTV : Little Sleep, Lots Of Reading... I Failed.

Craig Longman craigl at begeek.com
Mon Jun 9 14:28:02 EDT 2003

Isaac Richards wrote:

>>lirc on the pvr uses the i2c interface, and that's the reason for
>>possibly needing to recompile, right?  but if you had a recent kernel,
>>then it might not be necessary.  the i2c and the v4l(2) stuff are whats
>>important for the kernl, is this correct?
>>

>Nope.  Kernel should have a new enough version of i2c, and it should have v4l
>already compiled.  Don't need v4l2 in the kernel for the ivtv driver, so
>everything should be just fine with the stock kernel.

hmm. i could have sworn i remember reading something when i was first
setting up that indicated you needed some i2c enhancements that were
only available in more recent kernels (2.4.19+ is what i think i
remember).  now, i actually run debian, so maybe the stable was too old,
but testing (and redhat 9) are recent enough.

>>> A better bitrate peak would be 4000, not 8000, for an average rate of
>>>2500. Having the peak bitrate too high can cause problems.
>>>

>>well, this is certainly not always the case.  if i drop the bitrate
>>below an average of about 5Mbps, i get choppy audio and video.  now that
>>i've patch mplayer, i should test to see if it is just myth, or the
>>actual recording thats the problem.
>>

>We're talking peak bitrate here, not average -- he's already recommended
>dropping the average bitrate down to 2.5Mbps, which wouldn't work for you as
>you've said.

ahh, i see what you meant there, i misunderstood what jarod had written.
 sorry.

cheers,

    CraigL->Thx();