[mythtv-users] Re: MythTV : Little Sleep, Lots Of Reading... I Failed.

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Jun 9 17:16:32 EDT 2003

> You can actually do without even bothering with ALSA if you like. It
> isn't really absolutely necessary in many cases. I actually had my
> system working fine just using OSS before I installed ALSA. Some
> people have had problems with audio sync using OSS though, if I recall
> correctly, but it worked fine for me (definitely easier to set up,
> since it is the sound system Red Hat ships with). I do prefer ALSA
> though, and it works peachy on my system.
>
> We'll see if we can't make some of my doc official, because I assure
> you that at least in some areas, it is far superior to what is
> currently called official. For those who missed it, or haven't read it
> at all yet (Bruce?), here it is:
>
> http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250
>
> It's not "official", but I assure you the content is good. ;)

Good list, looks a lot like the list a friend and I were making for
MythTV on VIA M-10000 running RH9.
I'm missing one thing though, it's the extraction of the firmware from
the Windows driver installation.
For me that was absolutely necessary, not only that but it had to be the
latest from their website, NOT the one from the CD!

The information on this page made me realize that:
http://itx.lincomatic.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=15

> Yours in sleep deprivation,

I hear you ;-)

I hope MythTV will in the end be as easy to install as Freevo because if
it wasn't for the features and the feeling (without looking at the code,
but just this gut feeling) that MythTV is somehow superiour in design I
would have given up long ago. To compare: I had Freevo running in half a
day, with MythTV I'm in my second week and still not everything is working.
Don't get me wrong MythTV developers, I'm enjoying the experience!
(although not always at 3 in the night when nothing wants to work hehe).

One thing I do like about Freevo is that it can run without using X
making possible an even more minimalistic install which is nice for the
kind of set-top box that I'm making.

-Tako