[mythtv-users] Autostarting under RH9 and KDE

Aran Cox spin at avalon.net
Sat Jun 7 00:29:30 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 14:41, Poul Petersen wrote:
> #1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
> 1:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/openvt -f -c 1 -w -- /bin/login -f mythtv

I used these lines in /etc/inittab:

1:235:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
myth:4:respawn:/usr/bin/openvt -f -c 1 -w -- /bin/login -f mythtv

That way, I can change the default run-level and get a normal
workstation again.  You didn't say that you disabled starting X in
run-level 5 (which would be the default) but I assume you did that.
With the above set up, you need to make sure everything you need for
mythtv to work is started in run-level 4.

> 	This causes the virtual terminal on tty1 to auto-logon to the
> mythtv account. Notice that the mythtv user therefore does not even need
> to have a valid password. I then placed a short routine in the mythtv
> user's .bash_profile:
>

> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mythtv/bin:/usr/lib/qt-3.1/bin
> export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.1
>
> /usr/bin/aumix -L
>
> if [ "z`ps -aef |grep X | grep -v grep`" = "z" ]; then
>
>   while [ 1 ]; do
>     startx
>     sleep 5
>   done
> fi

I used the above more or less verbatim!

> 	In order to get mythfrontend to startup automatically, I placed
> the following code in "~mythtv/.kde/Autostart/myth"
>
> #!/bin/sh
> xset -dpms s off
> exec /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend

I used this as the .xinitrc for the mythtv user:

xset -dpms s off
irxevent &
blackbox &
sleep 2 # probably not necessery
exec mythfrontend

(Note: I'm using blackbox here, but you could substitute any simple
window manager you'd like to try in the above file.)

> -poul

Thanks Poul, without your post I'd probably still me fiddling with this.

Regards,
Aran