[mythtv-users] mythbackend segfaulting (reason unknown)

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri Jun 6 15:25:58 EDT 2003

At 01:40 PM 6/6/2003 -0500, James S. White wrote:
>I know this is probably not what you want to hear but I changed
>/etc/init.d/myth-backend from
>
>#USER=mythtv
>USER=root
>
>and the crashes went away.
>
>Not that this is a good idea, But it will let you watch tv, and record.

James -- If I were to guess from this quasi-solution (and the original
symptom) about what is going on, it would be that you (the mythtv userid, I
mean) do not have permission to access some needed device. A sound device
is a good candidate (is mythtv a member of group audio? group video?).

I've seen mythbackend fail ugly when it cannot access a resource,
particularly when run from an init script.
[older messages deleted]