[mythtv-users] WinTV-Theater ?

Marc Kessels kessels at rijnh.nl
Fri Jun 6 17:04:58 EDT 2003

At 06:59 6-6-2003, you wrote:
>Is anyone using WinTV-Theater?  does it work under bttv or any of the
>video capture drivers?

Well, I am using the wintv theater and did not get any problems in
installing it, but I do not remember how I managed to do it (I am using
Mandrake 9.1, and that already supports this card(?), but I suppose it was
bttv)

>i can't seem to find much data about it...but, it seems to be one of the
>very few cards I can find with surround sound... (or maybe not--what is
>DBX stereo... isn't this still just two channel?)... its the same price as
>the PVR 250 but is software based....

Yes it does support surround sound, but no, you can't use it with mythtv
(at least, not  the surround part) This is because the audio is available
only via external plugs, which should be  attached to the line in of your
sound card. Since this is only a stereo channel, you cannot capture the
surround channels. In principle you could try to attached the surround
channels to another audio card and capture them as well, but this is not
possible in mythtv (It is only based on stereo and one audio input, AFAIK)
Since the PVR250 is hardware based, I suppose it just sends a stream to
mythtv including video,audio and surround data. So this should work, but
please ask someone who has a PVR250 :-)

Hope this helps,

Marc