[mythtv-users] I have a problem configuring my frontend box...

John Klimek jmk396 at psu.edu
Fri Jun 6 00:35:00 EDT 2003

> I assume that you can connect to the database from the
> backend machine. Make sure that the ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt
> file is correct on the x-box.

I don't have a ~/.mythtv directory.  I do however have a
/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file though.

> Most likely, your mysql
> server is not listening for network connections. Edit
> your /etc/mysql/my.cnf file to comment out the line
> "skip-networking" (uncomment if you don't not want to
> unsupress not having un-skip-network). Then restart the
> mysql server and check to see that it is listening:

On my backend (Mandrake 0.91), it doesn't have a /etc/mysql directory at
all...

> $ netstat -a | grep mysql
> tcp        0      0 *:mysql        *:*             LISTEN

Using that command DOES give me those results.

>  From the x-box, you can verify that it will accept connections.
> $ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -hyourhost mythconverg

My X-Box doesn't seem to have the MySQL monitor (eg. the command 'mysql' is
not found).

> If this works and the fields in the mysql.txt file match,
> you should be golden.

Is the DBPasswd encrypted in the mysql.txt file?