[mythtv-users] Questions [keywords: XML Database, NVIDIA Personal Cinema, frontend/backend)

Shawn Kwang skwang271828 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 5 22:40:05 EDT 2003

I want to install MythTV soon but I have a couple of questions I could not
find the answer to by searching the mailing list archives.  Thus my new
subscription and newbie questions.  If you guys could help me out, it would
be greatly appreciated.

1) Internet Access

How well does MythTV work or not work without an fast-speed internet
connection?  Yes I only have dial up, and no I don't plan to get DSL soon.
I don't want to start an argument over whether or not I should get fast
internet access.  My question is two-fold:
--I figure I can get the TV listings via dial-up, but perhaps someone can
clue me into the size of the file(s) so I know what I am getting myself into

--I can't download programs to resolve dependencies.  My solution to this is
to download entire linux distros (not isos) onto my laptop at work, and
bring it home for installation.[1]  That being said, what other programs
will I need to compile everything so that I can avoid dependency problems
which would require another trip to work to resolve.  Usually not everything
is included.

2) TV Tuner

Has anyone had any luck with NVIDIA's Personal Cinema Card?  eVGA is the
brand name, and it uses:
--GeForce4 MX440 chipset
--Philips SAA7133HL for Video Capture In/Out
--Philips FQ1236/F TV Tuner

I figure the NVIDIA drivers will take care of the chipset but what about the
TV tuner?

3) frontend/backend configuration

Can I install everything onto one machine (a "combined" system), and then
move the TV tuner card to another machine, thus "separating" the backend
from the front?[2]  Or will this operation require a new install (not
compile just install)?

Since the backend is only doing TV capture, am I right to assume that DVD
playback (through MythVideo) and the other modules operate on the frontend?

Thanks in advance,
Shawn Kwang

[1]  Actually I work five minutes away from home and walk back and forth.
That being said I don't want to get into the situation where I walk to work,
download a file, walk back, determine another dependency problem, walk back
to work, download a file, etc.

[2]If I wanted to do this there would be little reason to get a NVIDIA
Personal Cinema card.