[mythtv-users] Do I need a tuner card with DirecTV?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Jun 5 16:08:28 EDT 2003

At 04:02 PM 6/5/2003 -0400, Bryan wrote:
>I'm new too, so maybe its already been answered.
>
>If I have a tuner, or a capture card, with DirecTV, I still need to have
>the DirecTV reciever set to the channel I want to record right?
>
>OR is there some way that myth will change the channels to the appropriate
>ones while I'm away and record what I want.

There are two (closely ralated) ways that MythTV systems can control
external devices that need to select channels.

1. Use an IR Blaster to send to the device the signals that its remote
control would send.

2. Use a direct serial-port connection between the MythTV host and the
other device to send it commands to change channels.

 From the Myth side, both are similar because they typically involve
sending instructions to a serial port, commonly using the package LIRC
(Linux Infra-Red Control). On the device side ... well, if the device has a
serial port designed for device control (some do, some don't), then you can
use a serial-cable connection for the control. If not, use the IR Blaster,
assuming the remote codes for the device are known.

For more info, do the usual sorts of searches on LIRC, IR Blaster, and the
make and model of your DirecTV control box. Or search this list's archives
... this topic comes up again and again. And once you know what hardware
you need ... if you are not up to building it yourself, most people say the
Snapstream store is a good source of the relevant cables and IR device.