[mythtv-users] MythTV minus the TV?

Shawn Powers spowers at inland.k12.mi.us
Thu Jun 5 15:55:36 EDT 2003

I did try to search the lists, but didn't see a method to actually search, so
I poked around the archives a bit, and didn't see a similar topic.  Here
goes:

The interface for MythTV looks INCREDIBLE!!  The features in MythMusic for
controlling playlists, etc via remote or keyboard are exactly what I would
love to have.

I *don't* need any Television watching/recording features, mainly because my
television reception is so poor, that recording it would be a sin.  Is it
possible to install MythTV without any tv encoder?  Can the TV Guide and live
TV options be disabled?  (ie, not on the menu for my wife to ask about)

I have many .avi video files, and tend to rip all my kids DVDs so they dont'
get scratched...  Also, our entire music collection is now on MP3.

More than a hand holding through the process, I guess I'm just asking if I can
get something like MythVideo, MythMusic, MythWeather, and MythGallery to work
without having MythTV?  (I know I need to install MythTV, as it's the core
that the plugins connect to, but do I need to have a TV  card, and get MythTV
configured?)  Can I disable the "Record TV" and "Watch TV" items from the
main menu?

Thank you in advance, and truth be told -- I'll probably buy a tv tuner if
it's needed (but I won't use it, so it seems silly)

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director