[mythtv-users] running backend and frontend on different machines

Ralf Haller ralf at brap.de
Thu Jun 5 11:45:00 EDT 2003

Hello,

I just managed to install mythTV running the frontend and backend on
different machines. The backend is my old PC running on an AMD-K6-2 with
550 MHz (too slow for encoding and playing) using a PVR 350 for
capturing. The frontend is a MSI Hermes 650 barebone (I'm reporting on
this barebone in a future posting) running a Celeron 2 GHz.

Everything works just fine, only browsing the recordedings and playing
them is very slow. It takes up to one minute to show the thumbnail of
the recording or starting it for playing. When it started playing it
works fine. LiveTV works without any problems too.

Here is the output of mythfrontend :

Input #0, mpeg, from
'myth://192.168.1.254:6543/10_20030605083000_20030605090500.nuv':
  Stream #0.0: Video: mpegvideo, 720x576, 29.97 fps, 16000 kb/s
  Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 384 kb/s
rebuffering (150529 256000)
rebuffering (244737 256000)

Running the frontend on the same machine as the backend doesn't show
this problem. The problem must be related to network streaming.

The network connection between the backend and the frontend works
perfectly and allows ftp, ssh etc. I am using a CVS version of mythTV
from three weeks ago.

Any ideas which might cause these delays?

Ralf