[mythtv-users] PVR250 + TVWonder = jerky

michael at optusnet.com.au michael at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jun 5 19:13:52 EDT 2003

Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu> writes:
> On Wednesday 04 June 2003 10:05 pm, michael at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> > I didn't find this problem in my testing. I could stream 20
> > megabytes/sec out of the backend with a hacked up requestor. Why do
> > you think this is a problem? (This is easy to test: Write a few lines
> > of perl to do a connect to the backend, and stuff request blocks
> > down as fast as you can, just counting and dumping the data the comes
> > back).
>
> That's not really a realistic test, since the perl client isn't using the
> QSocket stuff.

Quote: "Nope.  The issue is that due to the scheduler and the way all
backend requests are synced and due to them using the Qt event loop
and everything, there's a limited number of requests you can make of
the backend in any given time period."

What does the perl client not using QSocket stuff have to do with
the backend performance??

I do know it's not a realistic test. All it was designed to do was
demonstrate that the problem was in the frontend, not the backend.

> > Using my mjpeg card on a 5 megabyte/sec stream is utterly unusable on
> > CVS mythtv (audio and video chops every 2 seconds). Streaming the
> > backend requests makes it silky smooth. (The current patch I'm
> > using fixes a few bugs in the original one).
>
> Send in a diff without all the extraneous changes you had in the original one,
> then, and I'll see about getting it committed.

The 'extraneous changes' shrank the code size by nearly 200 lines as I
very vaguely recall.

Am I being stupid, and missing some reason that you're keen on having
code duplicated in so many places?

Michael, ever curious.