[mythtv-users] What's the best linux distribution if I'mONLYusingMyth TV?

Pierre-Olivier Bouchard petecool at vl.videotron.ca
Wed Jun 4 15:45:39 EDT 2003

John Klimek wrote:
> If I decide to "finalize" a MythTV box then I'll be running an Athlon 1.0
> GHz w/Happauge Win-TV card (on a KT7-RAID board).  If I do this, then I'll
> install Gentoo (because once everything is compiled I'm sure you don't need
> to recompile very often).

You're right, you only need to do so if/when you install security
updates. The bare system needed to run only myth isn't updated very
often (maybe twice or three times a year, and not all packages at the
same time)

> This leads me to one last question...  are there any super plain black
> computer cases?  I've seen the one link off mythtv.org, but it has drive
> bays.  If possible, I'd like one to just be a black box so it looks more
> like a stereo component than a computer.

This one might work: http://directron.com/atc620.html
It takes a MicroATX motherboard only, though (you could trade/sell your
KT7-Raid and buy something like this:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=80&MODEL=MS-6390
, or the ECS L7VTM). That case also uses standard ATX power supplies.
This is the best, most stereo-component-looking case that I know of.

Pete