[mythtv-users] Going wireless/diskless, and some assorted hardware questions

Latka latka at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 4 14:54:43 EDT 2003

Greetings, I've been checking the archives, and I've seen a few people
mention using wireless networking, but I was wondering if anyone has also
set up a diskless box that is also wireless, and if they'd care to share
their thoughts/experiences/rants/fears/warnings.

I've been searching around for quite a while, and just stumbled upon MythTV.
I was figuring I'd have to use an embedded linux distro with one of the
boxes on linux-devices.com. The problem with all of those is that they are
mostly stripped down boxes, and don't quite have that "do every damn thing I
want" that it looks like MythTV has.

Anyhoo, I'm in the process of researching this thing right now, to make sure
I don't buy any parts that turn out useless. So far, here's a few questions
I have (if they've already been answered, my apologies, just ignore them):

1. Most of the setup docs suggest using two cards, one for display, one for
capture. I just want a sanity check: The capture card can be PCI rather AGP,
correct? (I've never seen a mobo with 2 AGP slots, and since you are only
capturing with the PCI card, I assume this shouldn't be an issue.)

2. Networking: The mini-itx case/mobo's I've looked at only have one PCI
slot, which will probably be taken up by the capture card, so I'd be using
the onboard lan to connect to an 802.11b/g converter. What transfer rate
would I need if I wanted to go completely disklesss? (I'm trying to figure
if it's feasable to store everything in one central place, and just boot
this box, or even multiple boxes from that backend).

3. Wireless kb/mice. Wondering if anybody has any luck with these under
linux. This isn't really MythTV related, and I'll be looking in the usual
haunts for info on this, but if you do care to share, I'm all ears.

4. Mini-itx case/mobo retailers. If you have any online retailers you can
suggest, it would be appreciated. None of the online comp places I frequent
have much in this form factor.

Thanks for any data points you care to share. Here's what I'm considering
for now:
Mini-ITX case, AMD based mobo (preferably NForce2 with decent onboard audio)
AMD XP 2x00 (probably 2600, or whatever is in the $80 - 90 range when I
jump)
WinTV capture card (the hauppage seems quite highly recommended here)
TV Out AGP video card (I have a GeForce 5200 that I can use already, but
will buy another if need be)
Wireless eth2wifi adapter
DirecTV low speed network adapter (from the website mentioned here)
USB Wireless kb/mouse (optional, but would love to use SSH from the comfort
of my couch ;p)
Gentoo linux, probably a minimal windo wmanager (blackbox , IceWM, etc.)

I currently have a headless linux box (an old AMD K6-2 350) and a newer dual
boot (Abit NF7s-v2, XP2600), that I could set up DHCP and file server on.
--
Latka;