[mythtv-users] What's the best linux distribution if I'm ONLYusingMyth TV?

Pierre-Olivier Bouchard petecool at vl.videotron.ca
Wed Jun 4 11:40:55 EDT 2003

john at www.jb99.com wrote:

> On the machine I've got it on (An EPIA C3 800Mhz) which admittedly is
> fairly slow it takes almost 2 hours to do kernel rebuild. To go from a
> stage 1 install to finishing the "emerge system" took at least 12 hours) I
> left it running overnight.
>
> I tried to rebuild KDE (Including X and all the underlying packages it
> needs) with a fair number of options included and had to stop it after 18
> hours because I had to move the machine.
>
> On that machine I don't think it's an exageration to say it would take days
> to install a reasonable amount of software.
>
> This is a very slow cpu but even so it can take *many* hours to install if
> you want a fully functional kde system for example.

But you don't need KDE for Myth, the guy says he only wants to use Myth
on his computer. This reduces the list of packages to build somewhat.

I think your EPIA might be having some problems or something... my
P1-275 (overclock) did a kernel recompile (with gcc2.95, I admit -
double the time to compare with gcc3.x) in about 40 minutes. I don't
remember the EPIA 800 being that slow :(

Plus, IMHO, the extra performance he'll get out of his 750Mhz Athlon (If
you don't believe it, bring your RedHat/Mandrake/whatever CD's here, and
we'll test with my Celeron 500, and my Celeron 1100 - you'll see quite a
difference, like I did - on other, faster machines, I've had mixed
results, though) is well worth the extra setup time. He'll be able to
encode a step up in the resolution table, or with more bitrate, or with
MPEG-4 High-Quality, than with other distros. He's right in the place
where it does make a difference, IMHO.

Pete