[mythtv-users] PVR-250 Driver Hanging

rwk at americom.com rwk at americom.com
Wed Jun 4 09:06:58 EDT 2003

Hello,

I have been running mythtv for a few weeks now and have in the last week
started scheduled some programs to record.  I am using a Hauppauge
PVR-250 video tuner card.  The last few days, when I check how it is
doing at night I find that mythbackend is hung (that is, mythtv says
"connecting to backend" and then just sits there).  Actually it appears
to be the ivtv driver which is hung because I can restart mythbackend
and it does not solve the problem.  I have to "rmmod ivtv; modprobe
ivtv" to get it working again.

My question is, has anyone else experienced anything similar, and if so,
is there a solution?

Baring anything else, I plan to put something in crontab which pings the
backend and if it doesn't get a response, it reloads the driver and
restarts mythbackend.  I hate to do this because it seems like such a
kluge.

If I do have to do it, can anyone suggest a simple and quick way to
"ping" the backend to check to see if it is operating correctly?

What diagnostic procedures could I run (either before or after it is
hung) to figure out why it is hanging?

Thanks!
Dick