[mythtv-users] DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can I build the cable?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Jun 3 16:57:16 EDT 2003

The URL that Jeremy and I both pointed you to (http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/)
has a chart that lists the DRD430RG as one of the models its instructions
work for. If that is the case, you have an RJ-11 jack (4 contacts), not an
RJ-45 (8 contacts). So you need an RJ-11 to DE-9 (what you're calling a
DB-9) cable or adapter.

1. You can wire one yourself if your skills are up to it (it sounds like
they are). Note that this site provides 2 color-code keys, suggesting that
RJ-11 colors are not completely standard.

2. The site lists one for sale for $US16, shipping included.

3. The Snapstream site I previously supplied also has a $US20 (+shipping)
kit that includes the cable, plus audio and video cables. I caanot be
certain that this cable is the same pinouts, but Snapstream is competetn,
so the thing is likely to work.

There is a lot more helpful info at this site, including Windows-based
freeware apps, with source, to control the DirecTV satellite box over the
serial port.