[mythtv-users] Auto renaming .nuv files to human readable names...

Mark Levitt mark.levitt at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 3 20:23:42 EDT 2003

Hi,
Well, I finally got the kinks worked out and have MythTV running. First
of all, let me say a big thanks to Isaac and everyone else who's working
on this. It's really great.

Now on to my question...
I am primarily going to use MythTV to record shows, rather than watch
live tv through it.

What I've got is a headless box running mythbackend with a PVR-250. My
goal it to have it automatically record the shows I don't want to miss.
Then, I can copy them to my laptop and watch them during my long commute
into work (on the train. :)

When MythTV records a show, it creates a file named something like
channelnum_startdatetime_enddatetime.nuv.

Now, becuase I'm using a PVR-250, the file is actually in mgep2 format
and can be played directly with Windows Media Player.

So, what I'd like to do is have some script that, once the recording is
finished, rename the file from myth's format to something like
ShowTitle-Date.mpg.

Alternatively, I would like to convert the files to, say, divx format.
I've tried mythmkmovie, but that seems to expect real .nuv files and
doesn't seem to work. I've tried mencoder, but that outputs low quality
video and the audio is out of sync.

So, for now, given that I don't really need to save the shows past when
I watch them and I've got the space, I figure I wouldn't bother with
converting them. But, if someone has any ideas on how to get mpeg2 -->
Divx conversion working correctly, I'd give it a shot...

Thanks.