[mythtv-users] Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes

Pete Hartman mythtv at elmegil.net
Tue Jun 3 08:48:10 EDT 2003

At 08:33 AM 6/3/03 +0100, Mark Cooper wrote:
>Pete Hartman wrote:
><CUT>
>>1) each configuration listed is slightly different from every other
>>and
>>2) the "satisfaction" level for configurations that were to my reading
>>extremely similar was widely divergent.
>>Unfortunately I seem unable to connect to goldfish.org right now to give
>>concrete examples.  Suffice to say that while it gives some outer
>>boundary ideas of what configs to use, it's nowhere near as helpful for
>>someone who isn't spending all their time hacking on this to "just do
>>it".  If I ever get my config working (many other distractions around the
>>house) I plan to document my process, my working config, and a way to
>>reconfigure it from scratch--both as an aid to others, and so that I have
>>a disaster recovery plan :-).  Jeff C did a great job starting this for a
>>PVR-250 user, and I plan to follow something much like his format.
>
>goldfish.org was unavailable part of yesterday due to an un-scheduled
>outage on the upstream providers network :)
>
>The 'satisfaction' rating is user selected from a range of one ( not good
>) to ten ( very good ). This is always going to be a subjective rating and
>is only intended as a guide.
>
>You only have to look at the mailing list to realise that one card can
>have varying success for different people. The amount of variables
>involved in ensuring two configs provide the same 'satisfaction' is HUGE!!
>
>The only real way to provide subjective analysis of particular tuner cards
>for example would be to have a standard generic set-up and review all the
>different cards on it. Now thats something I'd love to do, but I don't
>have the money/resources/etc to do that :)

my main point was not that the existing database is bad, but that it is not
the same thing as a particular "recommended" configuration that is
documented in detail.  If that configuration is documented in its entirety
(mb, memory config, cpu, etc.--all the usual system variables, as well as
some outline of setup steps that is more detailed than the main docs,
including the steps to set up things that myth relies on but rightly aren't
really part of myth) it will be a good guideline for those who are less
interested in the science project aspects of setting this up and are
looking for something that they can just put in place to be an OSS
PVR.  People could then choose how much they wanted to deviate from that
config based on how much they wanted to wander off in their own directions.