[mythtv-users] CPU For Pundit Frontend

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Jun 2 14:22:21 EDT 2003

> I'm running a Celeron 1.7. As a front end only, the CPU utilization
> isn't high with this cpu anyway. Unless you have other tasks in mind I'd
> go with the cheaper processor... The machine is very quiet and the fan
> only kicks into high mode briefly when it boots. Myth Frontend tasks
> won't be enough to kick the fan up.

I'd tend to agree with this, too.  the  2.0 celeron was a bit slow for
my tastes for a backend-frontend machine (I wanted really nice mpeg4
video), so I upgraded to a full p4 2.4.  It loves in a cupboard with
very little ventilation, and the fans never spin up to full speed.  They
get loud enough to hear in a quiet room while it's encoding, but for
playing, I can't even hear the fans.

anyway, save yourself some money - though I'd shoot for a 2.0 celeron
since I don't think it's that much more than the 1.7.

-Chris