[mythtv-users] Re:Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes

larry larry at scrudgeware.org
Mon Jun 2 11:08:22 EDT 2003

--- "Robert Kulagowski" <rkulagowski at thrupoint.net> wrote:
> If you're going to _sell_ systems, you have to realize that you have
> two types of audience:
>
> 1)  hackers / enthusiasts, who want to use the MythTV software
> 2)  consumers, who expect it to just "work".
<snip>
> Also, add in IR receiver for remote control, IR blaster for channel
> changing, keyboard, mouse, etc...

All are very good points.
I would think that in order for someone to make some money at something like
this, you somehow need to get the cost down to $300 or so.  You have to be able
to sell the finished product for less than $400.  And you're margin can't be
more the 10%-15% or the hacker/enthusiast will simply bypass you and go straight
to the source.  Realisticly (sp?), they'll probably do that anyway, so the
consumer market is really where you should be looking.

> Now, lets look at the consumer side.  Assuming that someone is going
> to buy it, sight unseen, then you're going to need to be worried
> about two things:
> 1)  XMLTV / Zap2It
> 2)  General hand-holding support
>
> The first one worries me more than the second.

What do you mean?  Are you talking about general setup?