[mythtv-users] Has anybody put together a three tuner system ?

Christian Hack christianh at pdd.edmi.com.au
Mon Jun 2 19:33:46 EDT 2003

I agree here with Bruce. Two machines is better for ease of use but
obviously there is the power consumption issues to consider.

My XP2000+ takes around 50% encoding a 640x576 MPEG4 stream (default MythTV
settings) and around 5-10% decoding. Obviously a 2400 won't help heaps in
terms of 3 cards. IDE bandwidth issues etc start to become an issue too.

If you're willing to go down to say 480x576 (about 33% each on my CPU) you
might squeeze it in. Having some headroom (10-15%) is better if something
else happens on the box though.

Perhaps 2 PVR250 cards might be alright in terms of CPU but disregarding
IDE/PCI bandwidth etc.

I'd be interested to see how you go though. Care to be the guinea pig? ;)

CH