[mythtv-users] Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes

MythTV mythtv at teramech.com
Sun Jun 1 15:38:03 EDT 2003

This is an interesting discussion thread. I would guess that there a lots of
technically capably people willing to buy a preconfigured, open source linux
based "Media" box.

I think the collective group of people here would greatly benefit from the
shared experience of all of us that have hacked together a MythTV box, so I
would like to gather the responses from people on configurations :

1) Best Celeron mobo with (full-duplex) integrated audio and accelerated
2D/3D?

2) Best Duron/XP mobo with (full-duplex) integrated audio and accelerated
2D/3D?

3) IR Transmitter and Receiver configurations (cheapest)?
    * IRDA chip or GPIO controlled custom circuits will probably fit the
bill

4) Cheapest/Best (stable) Tuner/MPEG encoder/decoder board?

I have built 4 different MythTV boxes each with it's own issues, and my best
(bang for your buck) system runs around $350 retail. Toss in a DVD-RW to
archive media away, and for ~$550 you've got a decent HTPC.

We don't have to make a business around this. Just arriving at a some
optimally configured systems could really save time for people putting
together their own systems (or providing a starting place for system
builders).

It would be nice to build a custom distro for our Standard box that we could
all collectively build and refine. I would contribute hosting for a project
on TeraMech. I can also have CDs made quite cheaply to distribute distros,
since I wouldn'd want to chew up all my BW.

- Victor