[mythtv-users] backing up critical Myth files?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Jun 1 13:56:02 EDT 2003

Dr. J. S. Pezaris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been using MythTV for a couple of months now (release 0.8) and modulo
> a few minor problems which, from following the discussions, I understand
> have been addressed in the CVS, it has been nice and stable.  I have a
> single dedicated box that runs both backend and frontend.
>
> Given that I now have some 100 GB of recorded video, much of which I've
> archived by hand to CDR, I'm beginning to be concerned with the
> recoverability of the database and other critical Myth files should
> something fail -- either in hardware or due to some software-driven
> corruption.  Therefore, I'd like to archive the Myth files as well, so am
> writing a small script to tar them up and burn to CD in a semi-automatic way.

The key thing that you need is an ASCII dump that includes
the "recorded" table which holds the title and description
information to match up with your files.

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-19.html#ss19.6.

If you save this along with the source tree, everything can
be regenterated by 'make install' then restore the database
per the docs in the source tree.

--  bjm