[mythtv-users] LIRC/Homebrew receiver questions

Steve Davidson buzzdat1 at attbi.com
Sun Jun 1 00:57:16 EDT 2003

I had a friend pick up some parts from Radio Shack for a homebrew IR
receiver today.  I used the parts list from
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=590689&forum_id=5339, which is a link off of the LIRC serial port receivers page at http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html.

I've got a few questions though; I'm very much a hack when it comes to
electronics, I am pretty handy with a soldering iron and can follow a
schematic but have ZERO knowledge of theory.  Bear with me please <g>

RS has discontinued the listed IR receiver module (276-0137); he was
able to find what *appears* to be a suitable replacement, but I haven't
seen ANY info on it on the web.  The replacement model nr is 276-640,
listed as a "38k Hz IR Receiver Module for low voltage operation
(2.4-4.5V)".  It's got an elliptical lens, plastic package mounted on an
odd metal clip assembly.  Looks to me like the pinout is a bit different
(1=out, 2=gnd, 3=Vcc) then the 276-0137 model.  Does this look like an
appropriate replacement?

The parts list specified part 276-1770 for the voltage regulator - it is
indeed a 7805, +5VDC regulator, but is a TO-220 package rather then the
TO-92 package called for elsewhere.  Will this regulator work in the
simple circuit listed on the LIRC receivers page?

Thanks in advance for your input!

== Steve