[mythtv-users] Matrox G400 DualHead - Live TV is squashed

Joe V joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 23:08:15 EDT 2003

Hello all,

I know that from searching the archives that there's
been a lot of talk about the Matrox G400.

I configured my G400, using the G200 HOWTO
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=47700;search_string=g400%20howto;guest=894428&t=search_engine#47700)
- note that the URL actually goes into the middle of
the thread), and it' s working.  I have an image on
the second head, and using fbset, I managed to center
the image and expand it to fit the TV.  I used the
exact same modelines (for XFree86) from that HOWTO.

This is my fbset command:
fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -left 56 -right -75 -upper 90
-lower 37

The TV in question is a Panasonic (NTSC, I'm in the
United States), not sure of the size, but that doesn't
really matter.  :)

Anyway, here's my issue...  The MythTV (0.10) GUI is
fine, it stretches out to full-screen (800x600).
However, when I start Live TV, the TV image doesn't
stretch to fullscreen, there's a black border on all
sides (the right border being the largest).

The capture card I'm using is a bttv card (Pinnacle
PCTV Rage I think), and the picture is fine, except
for the borders.

Is the TV scaling handled in some seperate fashion
than the GUI?  I think that I've seen this problem
described on the list before, but I don't recall any
useful solution presented.  I'm wondering if it's my
particular bttv card, or the G400.

It seems that the general opinion of the G400 (after
reading the list archives) is that it's not even worth
trying for NTSC.  Since this isn't going to be the
final hardware configuration I'll be running with
(this is more a proof of concept box), I can change
the video card later or go with a scan converter.
However, I'm hoping that's not necessary.

So, has anybody had this problem and successfully
gotten the TV to go fullscreen on the framebuffer?
Or, am I better off with some other form of TV out?

Thanks,
Joe