[mythtv-users] PVR250 and commercial skip ?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Jul 31 05:44:48 EDT 2003

On 31 Jul 2003, Saravanan Subbiah wrote:

> Does commercial skip work with PVR 250 with hardware encoding on ?

Yes, mine skips commercials..... but keep in mind that it will make
mistakes.  I doubt that is due to the 250 though.

> Also how big will an 1 hour good quality PVR-250 encoded mpeg be in MBs

I get fairly good results all the way down to 1GB per hour.  It is MPEG
1/2, compare to other MPEG content if you want to know what the quality
will look like. If you think SVCDs look good, set for that bitrate and you
will get video that pretty much looks like SVCD if you feed it a nice
clean signal.  Just down't turn the bitrate/resolution down too far (VCD
for example) or you will expose the unfinished nature of the ivtv drivers.

Eventually (when the API settles, according to other posts here) we will
be able to configure different profiles and pick one on a per recording
basis.  But for now, just pick a good happy medium and stick a decent
sized HDD in, they are cheap enough these days.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!