[mythtv-users] CVS versions

Cedar cedarmckay at mac.com
Wed Jul 30 13:33:34 EDT 2003

Brent Michalski wrote:

>Are there any sort of instructions on how to install the CVS versions of
>MythTV?  I know where to get the CVS versions from but I am apprehensive
>for a few reasons...
>
>- Are they just as easy to compile and install as the released versions?

If you compiled the vesion you have now, it is exactly the same. If you
used a package (rpm, deb, etc) then you will have to compile this time.
Just follow the howto, and but use the cvs.sql rather than mc.sql
database script.

>- Do I have to get the CVS versions for ALL modules I currently have
>installed?

yes

>- Can I have 2 installations?  A "released" version and a "CVS" version?

not easily.

>Personally, I'd like to see more of a "release early, release often"
>methodology - maybe a weekly release, but I don't know how hard it is to
>get a version ready for release...

I doubt Isaac is interested in the extra work involved. Plus that would
mean the releases are less stable and well tested. But it you want a
weekly release, go ahead and update to cvs once a week! It wouldn't be
any different.

best,
Cedar