[mythtv-users] Problem report - saving position not working correctly

Randy Power Schnedler schnedlr at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 30 09:29:37 EDT 2003

Hi all,

First, since this is my first message to one of the myth lists, I want to
thank all of the developers and other contributors for sharing their hard
work.  Myth is one of the things that makes computing fun for me.  The fact
that MythTV is so functional helps the whole family enjoy TV more.  I'm
relatively new to Myth, having used it since shortly before 0.10 was
released.

Now, my problem.  Sorry for the long message, but I want to cover the bases if
possible.

I've been running CVS for about a month now, updated daily, usually.
Everything was pretty solid until approximately last Friday (July 25).
That's when I started having two problems, one of which is described in this
thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=68445;search_string=Auto-Skip;guest=912250&t=search_engine#68445

I think this was about the time that a fix went in to prevent skipping past
the limits of a program, but I don't want to mislead here or falsely accuse
either. :)

I suspect the two problems are related.  First, saving a bookmark usually
results in seeing "Auto-Skip -X" when re-entering the show, and the program
starts playing at the beginning (it skips past the commercials which are at
position 0:00).  "X" is the difference in frames from where it begins
playback and my bookmark. (Note that the message says negative X, which seems
accurate, as it has skipped *back* by X frames.)

My second problem is that I can often make the front end freeze up by abusing
the page-up and page-down keys.  I have them set to skip 2 minutes.  I start
playback, then go forward a bunch of times, back a few, and just randomly
bounce forward and back.  Most of the time, I can make it lock up within
15-20 seconds (of real time, not program time) by staying away from the
beginning & end of a program.  If I am more aggressive and skip to the very
end of a program, then try to go backwards, it seems to be even easier to
cause the lock-up.  The shell where I started mythfrontend will begin to emit
"rebuffering" lines (at a rate of one every 2-3 seconds), like this:
rebuffering (127989 128000)
rebuffering (117938 128000)
rebuffering (118450 128000)
rebuffering (118231 128000)
rebuffering (118227 128000)
rebuffering (126211 128000)
rebuffering (118461 128000)
rebuffering (118476 128000)
rebuffering (47233 128000)

When this happens, I have to kill the front end from a shell.  In the case
above, no more rebuffering lines were emitted, and I had to kill it.

Here's my configuration.  All systems running Mandrake 9.1, with the very
latest (as of this moment) CVS.

1 backend server: P2-400MHz (yeah, I know -- Freestyle is on the way)
capturing with MPEG4, 320x240.  Video is stored on an NFS share on a separate
file server.
 - bitrate: 1000 (bitrate not scaled)
 - max quality: 3
 - min quality: 20
 - max quality between frames: 4
 - HQ disabled
 - 4MV disabled

2 front ends, both of which exhibit exactly the same problematic behavior:
 - AMD 1.2GHz desktop at 1024x768.
 - AMD 700MHz driving the TV with a GeForce 440MX SE, set to 800x600, nvidia
driver

The message below indicates that the problem was fixed back in June.  While
that added line is still in the source code, it appears that something else
changed that caused it to break again.

Thanks for any help to get the problem resolved.
-Randy