[mythtv-users] quick boot

Russ Southern russ.southern at cox.net
Mon Jul 28 18:06:39 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 04:57:33PM -0400, Brett_M_Spooner at raytheon.com wrote:
> Running Mandrake 9.1
> Is there a way to make MythTV boot immediately w/ all modules?
> Can it skip loading, or more importantly showing, the GUI even though
> MythTV needs it?

I hope I haven't misunderstood you, but it appears you may be confused...
mythbackend is the piece that handles all the capturing.  It is the part of
MythTV that depends on all the modules (to support your capture card(s),
audio, etc.).  mythfrontend is the part with the GUI.

So, "MythTV" only needs the GUI when you are watching shows (or weather,
etc.)  It wouldn't start at boot time, but rather at X init time (when you
log in, probably).

I'm pretty sure the Install Guide covers how to get mythbackend to start on
boot.  As for mythfrontend (the GUI), you can start that on X startup
using .xinitrc or other some other method just like you would automagically
start any other X application.

See http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-19.html#ss19.12 for mythbackend
See http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-19.html#ss19.3  for mythfrontend

> Is there a list of the minimum Mandrake modules needed to just run MythTV?

Again, I would point you to the install guide.
http://mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall

If you were to compile a master list of just the RPM packages, be sure to
post it. :-)

> Obviously I am trying to reduce boot time & make it truly remote friendly
> for Linux illiterate users.

Good luck.  I'm all for making Linux more friendly, and cheer you on from
the sidelines in this regard.  MythTV is quite a complex undertaking for the
Linux illiterate.  The Linux initiate, maybe, illiterate, good luck :-)

Russ