[mythtv-users] disadvantages of ivtv cards????

Russ Southern russ.southern at cox.net
Mon Jul 28 14:28:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:29:05AM -0700, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:
> The question is...
>
> What are the disadvantages (if any) of using dual ivtv based cards?  I mean
> specifically the cards themselves and not things like remote controls etc as
> I have that all covered.

Drive space.  You'll need lots of it, as the cards capture (unless you get
aggressive at capture time) 4GB/hour of data.

Of course, that's probably offset by the stunning quality you get...

Get big hard drive(s), or be aggressive at transcoding to smaller files,
copying to dvd, etc.  That's the only potential downside I can think of, and
that's pretty minor, IMO.  I run two 250's myself...

Russ