[mythtv-users] Hauppauge Freestyle Info & ?s

Nathan Poznick poznick at conwaycorp.net
Sun Jul 27 16:20:22 EDT 2003

Thus spake Drew Lenze:
> 8.  From reading posts on this list, it looks like both the Freestyle and
> the PVR-250 work fine with MythTV.  Posts also seem to indicate that the
> PVR-250 has the best recording quality.  I'm guessing that the Freestyle
> would be comparable, but I haven't read anything confirming this.

Since I've never seen a PVR-250 clip, I'm not sure, but I could provide
a short segment from the Freestyle at 720x480, for comparison.  Granted,
a fair amount of any differences could be due to input signal quality.

> 1.  Do multiple Hauppauge cards work together?  I'm interested in any
> combinations of Freestyles and PVR-250s.

Multi-card support should be stable (according to a news post from June
25th on the ivtv website).

> 2.  Do the Freestyle and PVR-250 use the same software drivers?  I'm
> interested in both under Linux/MythTV and (bite-my-tongue) Windows.

As far as I know.  I grabbed the firmware package from the 250 for use
with my Freestyle, and it's been working fine.  In Linux, the ivtv
driver covers both.  In Windows, I'm assuming you can just use the 250
drivers, or something very close.

> 3.  Some other TV Tuner cards need to be jumpered to a computer systems
> sound card in order for audio to be heard or recorded.  Is this necessary
> for the PVR-250 and the Freestyle?

No, those cards do hardware MPEG2 compression.  The card dumps an MPEG2
stream, including audio...it doesn't need to record the audio
separately.

> 4.  The Techsys EBay ad for the Freestyle says that it must be installed in
> the middle PCI slot of the motherboard.  I'm guessing that this is just for
> maximum cooling.  Does anyone know of any other restriction?

That's odd...mine isn't in the middle slot, and it works just fine.  I'm
not aware of any other restrictions.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick at conwaycorp.net>

With people of only moderate ability modesty is mere honesty; but with
those who possess great talent it is hypocrisy. - Arthur Schopenhauer