[mythtv-users] Need hardware advice

Ogden Nefix onefix at waste.org
Sat Jul 26 00:53:51 EDT 2003

Hi,

Firstly, I am a Linux user but do not know much about hardware. I
usually ask friends to pick out hardware for me, however, this time I am
stuck.

I love the idea of Tivo, but don't like the hassle of paying for it and
want to build a decent box myself, if not better than the Tivo.

I am wondering if it is at all possible to build a very strong,
excellant quality DVR for under $500. I know the TV Card (I'm thinking
of the Win TV PVR250) is alone $150. Since the PVR250 comes with
self-encoding capabilities, then I don't need the latest and greatest
processor, right? Will an AMD Athlon XP 1.5Ghz be enough or should I go
above that?

Will I also be able to use the remote for the PVR250 to record, play,
etc, etc on the MythTV Box?

Also, out of curiosity, what does Tivo use for MPEG
compression/playback? Does MythTV offer the same quality, or not?

Thank you very much.

Ogden