[mythtv-users] XV and FX5200. Does it work?

Gary geekofalltrades at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 25 22:11:03 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Svihla" <roman at ellipse.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at snowman.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] XV and FX5200. Does it work?

> Actually its exactly that
> from nvidia's readme on the nforce 2 drivers
>

>     GART Patch Installation
>
> NOTE: This patch only supports kernel 2.4.20.  You will need to either
> install kernel 2.4.20 and sources before patching, or manually merge
> these changes to other kernel versions.
>

>       Patching the Kernel
>
>    1. Change to the Linux kernel source directory.
>
> example# cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20
>

>    2. Patch the kernel. Watch out for any warnings or errors.
>
> example# patch -p1 < linux-2.4.20-agpgart.diff
>

>       Configuring the Kernel
>
>     * In order to use NVIDIA AGP chipset support, the kernel must be
>       configured accordingly.
>     * In the kernel source directory, run a kernel configuration tool
>       such as menuconfig:
>
> example# make menuconfig
>

>     * In the 'Processor type and features', make sure that an x86
>       compatible CPU is selected.
>     * In the 'Character devices' section, select '/dev/agpgart (AGP
>       Support)' as an included or modularized kernel feature.
>     * In the same section, enable 'NVIDIA chipset support'.
>

> In personal experience the fx line does support xv fully, good luck to
> you i hope thats the problem (ps there is a patch out there somewhere
> for 2.4.21 and nforce just dont have the link right here lemme know if
> you need it).
>

> Hans-Christian Prytz wrote:
>
> >On Thursday 24 July 2003 14:00, joel at rosafluffmoln.nu wrote:
> >

> >>If your not already using it, try the binary nvidia drivers. It works
> >>great, atleast on my TNT2 and gforce 2.
> >>

> >I am using the latest nvidia drivers, and they have worked fine on
another
> >machine (also Gentoo) with an on-board Geforce2. The only problem there
was
> >with overscan, but xv worked fine.
> >
> >I'm currently recompiling xfree to see if there is something there that
is the
> >problem.
> >
> >Also I noteiced something strange with the agpgart module (from gentoo's
> >kernel 2.4.20-r5). It says "Unsupported bridge" when loading, so I guess
the
> >nvidia driver uses it's own (nvagp)

Hi all.

Using the nforce2 msi k7n2 and redhat 9 (custom kernel). Also have the same
fx5200. Card works great so far but haven't tried/succeeded with xinerama or
twin view. xv works as  well (at least thats the option mplayer passes it in
mythtv for my home videos)
The agpgart is a problem however. Seems to work fine with the generic but
/var/log/messages complains. The patch given by nvidia does work with the
2.20 kernel but does not compile properly with others (in spite of the
readme). I would love the 2.21 kernel patch.

./gary