[mythtv-users] Asus Pundit vs. Shuttle XPC SK41G

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Jul 24 12:45:52 EDT 2003

> Thanks for the reply. Sometimes I wish (fervently) that I had a deeper
> understanding of HW issues. What I hear you saying (you may correct me)
> is that modern IDE is fully as fast as SCSI for mythtv (appliance) use,
> but to get a multichannel MB and hang the drives on different channels.

It's a rather confusing topic, especially since IDE is changing (moving
from parallel ATA to serial ATA) pretty quickly at the moment.
Basically, on a single-drive basis, SCSI is still probably faster.
However, on an enterprise level (ie. RAID cards), you can get IDE
systems that perform ALMOST as fast as SCSI systems, but cost
significantly less, and are actually more reliable.

Anyway, it's basically all overkill for mythtv stuff.  ATA-66 should be
plenty fast for myth, since ata-33 is still faster than printing raw
video (though with myth needing random access for encoding, it's not
QUITE fast enough for myth).  If you want to speed up your IDE, don't do
the master-slave thing, just put one drive on each channel.  Or better
yet, use serial ATA (only allows one drive per channel, anyway).

-Chris