[mythtv-users] NEW script to enable bookmarks for MythVideo w/mplayer

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 23:44:40 EDT 2003

...so I got tired of the fact that when watching videos in mplayer I had no
facility to save a position so that I could pick up watching where I left off
later.  I came up with the attached script to utilize mplayer's edit list
function to effectively 'bookmark' a place similar to Myth's built-in
bookmark function for native Myth recordings.

Simply copy the script into a known location and change your MythVideo
settings to call it instead of mplayer directly.  You'll probably want to
edit the script to change the location of your .edl files and possibly the
location of the mplayer executable.  Also, make sure mplayer is built with
edl (editlist) functionality enabled (the default, if you build from source).

A bookmark can be set by pressing 'i' while watching a video in mplayer.
Unfortunately, the 'i' presses are cumulative, but the script only grabs the
first one.  I really should change it to grab the most recent one instead;
maybe I'll get around to it in the next day or so.

The bookmark file is automatically deleted the next time the video is played.

Enjoy.

-JAC