[mythtv-users] mandrake 9.1 native alsa not working

Dane Kantner webmaster at cmtweb.com
Wed Jul 23 10:24:18 EDT 2003

> I'm having a sound problem in a new setup... I'm running Mandrake 9.1 with
the default install Alsa drivers for the snd-> > > > via82xx.  I set the
sound system to use alsa explicity.

> I have audio set to use /dev/dsp, there is a /dev/sound/dsp too... but,
the /dev/dsp is a link to the other.  I'm using a bt card,

Hey, not that anyone responded... but I fixed this problem so ignore this
by the aRts sound server.  I had actually looked into this before, and
turned it off, but I think at some point during trouble shooting I turned it
back on without thinking about it.  (I guess I'm still not *really* sure
what this is)

Which brings me to another question.... 18.11 has a mention of disabling
aRts in KDE, which is great... but to me it seems like this should be
further up in the installation procedure.  I did a default install of
mandrake 9.1, so its enabled for everyone ...and it seems as though
everybody would have to disable it in order to use /dev/dsp in myth ...so,
why isn't there mention of it in the install procedure in section 7 or
something?

just wondering,

-D